Tips on Overcoming Depression

                                         
Overcoming depression and living life on your own terms is extremely important for your mental stability.  Here are a few questions you can always ask yourself;
1. What exactly is depressing you?
2. Can you change it?
3. Is it impossible to change/modify?

Then, per adventure you can't  change it, then you will need to strategize on your coping mechanism and how it will work out for you.

As  a researcher and doctor's wife I can talk about a few medical related conditions and complications from my life experiences and affiliations. One of my favourite is mental health.  Depression to be precise, it is very easy to slip into depression without even knowing .
Always look at the bright side of life. As I Christian I am always holding on to the fact that I serve a God that never fails so all things will always work out for my good however dark it might look.
Now to the 3 questions I listed above, the first step out of depression is to identify the "culprit ", be it a human being or life's circumstances. So if you are about to change the situation or turn things around in your favour then it's time you did that.
What I have learnt from my life experiences is that it's important to be selfless but don't forget yourself on that journey. Sometime last year I was at my breaking point; so I sat down and made a list of what was destabilizing my mind and emotions and I made the necessary life changing decision. However, there are circumstances in life we find ourselves where the change is required from our end; so moving forward from there would mean strategizing and responding differently. For example if you have a neighbour that is practically impossible and gets under your skin as often as possible and if it's impossible to change your place of abode at the moment then you need to have a civil conversation with the fellow (hoping he'll give a listening ear), and subsequently stay on your own lane without malice or disrespect.

So, in essence, once you can identify the psychological enemy, change or remove it if possible,  otherwise you need to face it and modify the way you allow it to deal with you, keeping in mind that you may also need to change the way you respond to it, which occasionally is the only change required even.
✍@olatounGraceny

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts